Anyone who says magic doesn’t exist has never enjoyed a peaceful morning at a stunning campsite. Shenandoah camping is calling!
Far from work, responsibilities and daily stress, the camping options near Shenandoah will create the escape you need. Whether you’re looking for a simple camping retreat surrounded by scenic views or a comfortable glamping experience with several amenities, Shenandoah River camping will fit the bill.
So make the most out of your Shenandoah camping experience! Grab your tent, pack your bags, and let’s explore the great outdoors together!
Why Camp Near Shenandoah National Park?
Shenandoah National Park and the surrounding area will give you a front-row view of some of the world’s most stunning and diverse ecosystems. The rushing river, dense trees and lush forest on the forest floor are only rivaled by the views you experience from one of several overlooks in the area.
You will be close to several exciting activities, from exhilarating river adventures to technical mountain biking and stunning hiking routes. There’s something for everyone to enjoy while camping around Shenandoah National Park. However you choose to appreciate the surrounding nature, this area will welcome you with open arms!
Choosing Your Campsite
Traditional Shenandoah Camping
If you are a person of simple pleasures, a standard campsite will likely have everything you need for a peaceful and refreshing adventure along the Shenandoah River. Shenandoah National Park has four different campgrounds to choose from, and there are several more just outside of the boundaries are just as lovely.
See a list of some of our favorite Front Royal campgrounds here!
Glamping is a beautiful compromise if you want to upgrade your camping experience with a few extra creature comforts. You can still have that sleep outside experience but not bother sleeping on the ground.
Our glamping tents near Shenandoah are in a picturesque location, have access to river views, and have several amenities you can’t have with standard campsites. From comfortable beds to cute covered porches to yard games, these glamping tents have everything you need to be comfortable while you take on the great outdoors.
For groups, families, or couples looking for a home away from home, several cabins near Shenandoah River are fully equipped for your group to enjoy an escape.
Our Shenandoah cabin rentals have hot showers, fully-stocked kitchens, cozy porches, comfortable beds and every other amenity you may need as you finish a day of adventures. With multiple cabin options for different group sizes, you can ensure you have the space you need!
If you want a more nomadic take on camping, you will love the flexibility you experience with Shenandoah River Canoe Camping Trips.
When you plan your canoe trip with Front Royal Outdoors, we will give you detailed advice on where to pitch your tent along the river. Several spots in George Washington National Forest have options for facilities along the river. So whether you choose a quick overnight or experience all the rapids and riffles you can on a 40-mile stretch of the river, we will help you paddle and set up camp confidently.
Tips for a Successful Trip Camping on the Shenandoah River
Want to make the most of your trip? Here are our top tips for Shenandoah River camping!
- Bring insect repellent. Mosquitoes and other bugs can be intense when camping near the river. Bring insect repellent, long pants, and shirts to keep them at bay.
- Pack appropriate clothing. Even in the summer, the weather near the river can be unpredictable. Bring clothing for various temperatures, especially for early morning and late evening.
- Remember water shoes. The river is the best part if you protect your feet! The riverbed can be rocky and slippery, so it’s a good idea to bring water shoes to protect your feet.
- Download a map. The Shenandoah River can feel complex, and you aren’t guaranteed phone service. Make sure to download any maps you need before reaching your site! If you plan your camping adventure with Front Royal Outdoors, we will also provide a detailed map.
- Follow Leave No Trace principles. Respect the natural environment and leave no trace of your camping activities. This means packing out all trash, following campfire best practices, and being mindful of wildlife.
- Plan ahead. Make reservations for your campsite well in advance, especially during peak season.
This is your summer to enjoy an unforgettable Shenandoah River camping adventure! No matter what camping style you prefer, we are here to help. Reach out to our team to plan your trip along the Shenandoah River!